So in the whole spirit of saving money and paying off debt, I’m trying to compile a list of free (or at least comparatively cheap) forms of entertainment, which I use to while away the hours/days/weeks/months will I am debt free and able to blow significant amounts of money to entertain myself.
1. Books – The first and foremost form of entertainment for me. For $20 a paperback, I can usually get a weeks worth of bed time/weekend reading from the books I buy on the first read. And I am a fan of the re-read, so I will tend to re-read the books I’ve bought at one point or another, usually multiple times. So for $20 that’s not bad.
2. Free Apps on the mobile – I tend to be slow when it comes to apps, cause frankly I have my nose buried in a book. I’ve ONLY just gotten addicted to Angry Birds. And since playing them costs nothing, bonus!
3. Free games online – I guess that’s a misleading term, since to be online you first need internet access. I can usually stretch my $50 pre-pay across a couple of months. So for that amount of money, I have PKR (on-line poker) and LOTRO (mmorpg based on the Lord of the Rings universe) and Starcraft (although I had to dish out $60 to actually buy this game). But in saying that playing these games doesn’t actually eat up my downloads, so I can play them for hours on end.
4. Free gym & pool access – Probably what I will miss the most once I get out of the apartments I’m currently living in. It has a fairly well equipped gym, with sauna. And the pool while not large is a good place to chill in the hot summer months. I can spend a good couple of hours a day (if I feel inclined) sweating away in here.
5. The Interweb/Wordpress – This varies, I know I haven’t been on the blog as often as I have previously (I think it’s cause I’m spending most of my energy trying to get up to speed at work) and I haven’t been stalking a lot of blogs sites either. But it’s nice to know that it’ll all be there once I get back. Faves are of course wordpress blogs (you know who you are), blogger blogs (my laptop and work computer will not let me comment on your blogs, don’t ask me why) Failbook, the occasional vlogger on You Tube and Tumblr. I’ve reactivated my Twitter account but need to put some time in it and find people to stalk, so its actually fun.
6. Runs – now that the warmer season is picking up, and daylight savings has kicked in. It means that I can go for runs at 7pm be home by 9pm just as its darkening.
Anyone else have free/cheap stuff?