Authors Warning: I’m not trying to be controversial here, but its possible this could hit a few nerves (I don’t know whether or not I’m being offensive or irritatingly curious some times). That’s not my intention, I am actually very curious about this phenomenon and what the root cause may be. Then kill it. With fire.
Okay this is a question that has been bugging me for a while, I’ve asked my female friends, girls I’ve dated (once I’ve gone on enough dates that I can show off how weird my brain works without them running for the hills), girls I’ve been in relationships with, random girls in bars (if I get realllllly drunk) and basically anyone I feel comfortable enough to ask these type of cockamamie questions (and I have a million of them). And I have NEVER gotten an answer that is even remotely satisfactory or even provides the smallest hint of an explanation.
This has nothing to do with Personal Finance by the way, my mind just kinda spat it out. Oh wait, it was inspired by Niki’s and Broke’s comments on this post. So there is a tenuous link to PF blogging I guess. So I will continue.
And while the title does direct this to female bloggers, if the miniscule number of male bloggers out there have their own opinion please feel free to pipe up!
Anyways, the question is:
Why is it that women don’t ever admit that they’re awesome? Do you actually know you’re awesome but just don’t want to verbalise it? Or (this is worse) you don’t even realise you pure awesomeness?
Now this is the majority of females from my own experience (and of course there will always be exceptions, if you’re one let us know!). I have met a couple of exceptions, and frankly it was kind of refreshing.
I have met so many women who are doing things unheard of in the land of male-dom. They have like a gajillion different things going on in their life, career, kids, relationships, working out, hobbies, friends, cooking, cleaning, blogging, school etc etc etc (that’s all I can think of, I’m sure there’s more). They may not have everything on that list but I’d say most women have at least 5 things on that list that they are excelling at, yet you pay them a compliment, they seem amazed that you’ve noticed or try to downplay it.
- “Oh it was nothing. Just a little something I whipped up”
- “How do I manage two jobs and studying? Oh I don’t know I just muddle through I guess…”
- “Anyone can raise two kids, make great meals, and pay off consumer debt completely whilst on a budget!”
- “My investment portfolio is too small!”
- “But anyone can play a musical instrument well they just need to practice!”
- “I only study part-time so that really doesn’t count.”
- “Its only $1000 in the emergency fund, overall it’s not much.”
- “I only got the job cause I got lucky…”
Let me break it down to you kiddies:
- Something that looks and tastes this good and you MADE IT makes you awesome.
- Being able to have enough energy to do all that makes you awesome.
- I’m not even going to talk to you anymore cause you’re just way too freaking awesome.
- Who has an investment portfolio at your age??!?!? Stop being so awesome.
- No. Lets face it, not everyone is as talented as you. Period. You are awesome. Deal with it.
- Anyone who can work AND study at the same time is awesome. That is what you are.
- I haven’t saved $1000 dollars! Please please please realise how awesome you are for reaching this goal!
- NO! You got the job cause you are awesome!
You know what, if any guy I knew was doing half the stuff that you chicks were doing, there would be a parade with a marching band a great big float with our name in neon lights proclaiming our awesomeness to the world in general. We don’t need you to tell us of our awesomeness, don’t get me wrong, I’m not proposing that you have to tell us that we’re awesome. We KNOW we are awesome because of all that we’ve achieved
If I clean my apartment I am awesome.
If I clean my apartment WELL Awesome x 2.
If I clean my apartment (well), cook dinner and go to the gym. Awesome cubed.
If I clean my apartment (well), cook dinner, go to the gym and blog. I’m still awesome but let me sleep cause doing all that tired me out. I’ll have the energy to do it all again in 6 months…But I’m still awesome.
If I clean my apartment (well), cook dinner, go to the gym, blog, go to work, go to class, do some shopping and catch up with some friends. Get me a bra and some tampons cause I’m a girl. And I’d be awesome at it.
When was the last time you accepted and proclaimed your own awesomeness? Say it loud and say it proud ladies!